Thursday, March 12, 2009

A woman I wish was still here with me


I miss my aunt. She lived down the street from us when we moved here for about 17 years. She and my uncle retired to FL where they lived for 15 years. We wrote letters back and forth, then emailed. They moved back to town (right around the corner) last spring because she was sick and I believe wanted to come home. She died last October when I was away for the weekend. I visited her the night before I left. I knew it wouldn't be long, but didn't expect it to be so soon.


She was a great person. She spoke her mind - you always knew where you stood with her. She was a party girl! We had some great times together. Back in 1976, her neighbor was very upset that nothing was being done in our town for the 200th birthday of our country so he organized a parade. We all dressed up as 1776 people and had a parade on July 4th. We were asked to be in many parades that summer. It was something none of us will ever forget and something we talked about the last time I visited her.


Another great memory is Belgian waffles. Every so often a bunch of us would take our waffle makers to someone's house and have a waffle fest! Some in my family love dried beef gravy. Whenever my other aunt would visit, she'd always make that and the three of us plus my daughter would enjoy the feast. A couple days after she died, my daughter suggested I make dried beef gravy dinner for all of us in her honor. We really enjoyed it and knew my aunt would get a chuckle out of us doing that.


After they moved back, Anna and I would go for walks. I'd push the stroller up the ramp that was built for her wheelchair and we'd visit. It was great having her back here even for a short time. I know I am going to miss her more this spring when we go for walks and she's not there to visit.

1 comment:

Traci said...

Aww... I'm so glad you were able to spend some more time with her when she moved back! What awesome memories you have of her.