Saturday, June 07, 2008

OBX




If you were able to go on a vacation for one week, anywhere you wanted, and with anyone you choose, where would you go, who would you take and why would you choose that location.



I would go to OBX with as many of my family who could be with me. I especially would want my husband, son, daughter-in-law, daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter to be there.

We have gone to OBX for the past three years and are going again in August. This started when my brother asked my two sisters, my other brother, and me if we'd like to do a family vacation. My sisters declined. So, my brothers' families and my family found a house and did a week in paradise - there were 16 of us. We had the most fantastic time. Each family fixed dinner two nights. The last night we got pizza. That meant no fixing meals for four nights and when it was your turn, you tried to make something special. Last year my niece and nephew drove up from Florida to join us. This year, my son and daughter-in-law can't make it which makes me sad. But, Anna will be with us and that makes me delirious!!

It's a week of heaven for me. We rent a house on the beach, but it has to have a pool. I love the people I am with and enjoy spending time with them. It's a laid back week. If someone decides to visit a lighthouse, they spread the word and whoever wants to go jumps in the car. Sonic usually ends up being a two-car trip as we don't have that in our area. If someone wants a bacon cheeseburger for breakfast, no one says anything about it. I love grocery shopping with the kids - they can get whatever treats they want because it is vacation. Swimming at 6am is a joy. The past three years, my nieces' and nephews' Christmas present has been an album of our vacation. I love watching them relive our time together and then swap to look at their cousins' albums.

Living on the ocean is so calming. I don't know if it is something I could do year round, but the memories of a week in paradise last the whole year until we go back again.

No comments: