Friday, June 06, 2008

Deja vu at NICU



My daughter had to go to Syracuse today to register for the Human Anatomy class she is taking this summer. She asked if I'd like to go and, of course, I said yes.

She said she'd called NICU to see if Helen was working today so we could take Anna to visit. Helen was Anna's nurse for the first 10 days she was in NICU. The Human Anatomy building was next door to the hospital. Molly registered and we headed to the 9th floor of Crouse.

I can't explain the feeling I got when the doors of the elevator opened. I was fine until then. As I stepped off the elevator, I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. It was almost like we'd never left there 6 months ago. As we turned to go down the hallway to the NICU parents' door, I got tears in my eyes. The only thing that had changed was that Anna was on "this" side of the door. Molly worked the intercom out of habit. Helen was thrilled to see Anna. Anna was thrilled to see Helen. I truly believe she knew her. We got there about 1 pm. Parents began arriving for the 1:30 feeding. I knew the look in their eyes. Helen was wonderful. She said, "See what you're going to take home. Anna was here 7 months ago." Anna looks the picture of health, is gorgeous, and put on a great show of jabbering. I know it gives hope as I remember a little fellow visiting when we were there in November. But, I also know how difficult it is living the life of NICU.

No comments: