Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Enlightened At A Little League Game

I went to my nephew's little league game. He loves baseball and sometimes pitches as closer. His team isn't the best this year, but they have fun. There are kids on the team who appear to be first time players. But, they are learning and seem to be improving.

The team they played beat them 20-2 in a previous meeting. RT's team went ahead 8-6. I could not believe - yes, I could - what I saw. Two coaches for the other team were going nuts. They were the base coaches and yelled, jumped, hopped, and ran all over the place. We sat by first base. That base coach told the runner that they needed 2 runs to tie. The poor little fellow tried to take second. He got caught in a run down, but made it back. The coach called a time out and, while the kid was still on the ground from sliding, got in his face and yelled, "WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?" I said in a loud voice, "He's trying to score 1 of the 2 runs you told him you need." Thank goodness for the kids on the other team, my nephew's team couldn't hold on and ended up losing the game.

I was sputtering after the game about the other team's coaches and how awful they were. I talked with my nephew about it. He started telling about other coaches and I heard many inappropriate things that have been done. It really bothered me until I had a thought...

The kids see/hear all these things and know they are wrong. So, maybe, when they grow up they'll remember and not behave like the adults they had to be around.

No comments: