Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Olympics Isn't The Olympics

I am disappointed in a lot of things going on at this Olympics. It just isn't the fun, amateur event it used to be. WADA is raiding the village, team members don't speak, "pros" are not happy because they aren't winning, and there is too much predictability. There is no "color" to these games. I want some excitement! Well, good excitement - not the snowboarder who had to show off and lost the gold and is now a hero for being a rebel.

I do love watching curling, though. Since this isn't one of the more popular sports, it hasn't been tainted yet like the others. I am not an expert on curling, but am able to explain some of the aspects to those who haven't watched before. I like how they have to think about what they want to do and make strategic plans for plays. Maybe I am drawn to this sport because you have to use your brain as well as your body.

I think the USA has embarrassed itself at these games, too. We whine a bit too much, make excuses, ski through the woods, and act ridiculous at times.

Maybe it's that I miss Jim McKay!!!

No comments: